If you have pets and are considering a trip, then you must consider who is going to take care of them, while you are gone. Do you use a pet-boarding service, or do you hire a pet sitter? This article will look at the pros and cons of both. Hopefully, this will help you make up your mind as to which one is better for you.
You can get pet boarding from kennels or some veterinarians. One thing that is ideal about this option is the fact there is usually an opening, however, only if you plan ahead. Some other advantages of this type of service are:
- Veterinarian checkups and shots (at the veterinarian locations)
- Dog training
- Deluxe accommodations (at upscale establishments)
- Playtime Clean accommodations
- Feeding (you can even bring their favorite food)
- Cost is reasonable unless it is a high-end place
Of course, the more features that are offered the more expensive the boarding will be. The main disadvantage to this type are service, is the lack of one on one attention. Some dogs develop kennel cough by being confined with other dogs that may have it. Most veterinarians will give a preventative shot for this though, right when you dog checks in for boarding. Cats can also contract diseases from other cats on occasion.
A professional that does pet sitting can be a bit pricier than the above options. However, there are some advantages that might appeal to you. Check out the list before to see what some of them are:
- The pets will be in their own familiar surroundings at home. So they will not feel uprooted.
- No struggling to transport the pets to and from the boarding place. This is especially important if you have large dogs for pets.
- Your pets will not be exposed to other animals and their possible health problems. Some pet sitters will offer to water your plants, pick up your mail and handle delivery of packages
- The sitters might also make sure the house looks lived in while you are gone. This is done by having the lights turned on in the evenings and the curtains closed, and then the reverse done for during the day.
- Sometimes you can find relatives or friends to be the sitter. This is an ideal situation.
There is the lack of extra services though, no veterinarian care or grooming and so on. Also, you might not always be able to afford the extra cost of the professional sitter. This service is a lot more expensive than a standard kennel or veterinarian that does boarding. It might be equal to the high-end boarding. You could have a harder time reserving a sitter.
All in all it is your personal preference which service you use. Just remember how important your pet is to you, and that it does deserve proper care while you are out of town. Choose the one that gives your pet the best care.